31 July 2011

happy pairings

It's that time of the year when all of the plants in the garden begin growing around, up, and through each other. While I was unwinding the veronicastrum from the hollyhock this afternoon, I noticed how nice the buds of a 'Casa Blanca' lily looked as they poked their way through the dark leaves of a cotinus.

There are lots of these auspicious meetings. Here are some I noted this afternoon.

Two annuals playing nicely. The color of the blue lobelias this year has been amazingly intense. The sedum behind is one I picked up at a plant store in May. I'm certain it's a sedum; I'm just not certain which kind.

Why do my echinacea blossoms always look so "seasoned"? Here's one resting her well-traveled head on a bed of Amsonia hubrichtii.

Bluish bracts of Eryngium 'Sapphire Blue' with regular old shasta daisies behind.

Here's what started it all: buds of a 'Casa Blanca' lily consorting with the dark, round leaves of Cotinus coggyria 'Royal Purple.'

5 comments:

  1. The sedum looks, I think, like 'Angelina' -- a great plant, and fully winter hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many sedums and I love them all. I like those as well as the ice plant which look similar. I like the contrast of the first photo the two colors. Nice blog.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post, Thanks For sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the flowers are very unique, I love it. I wait your presence on my blog. http://skrtu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog work. I came across your blog while “blog surfing” using the Next Blog button on the Nav Bar located at the top of my blogger.com site. I frequently just travel around looking for other blogs which exist on the Internet, and the various, creative ways in which people express themselves. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete