10 November 2009

a beginning

When we moved into our first largish apartment in New York City, B and I arranged all of our furniture in much the same way we had placed it in the smaller apartments we’d lived in elsewhere in the city. The sofa was two feet from the coffee table, which was two feet from the easy chair, and so on and so forth.

After about a year in the larger apartment, we realized we could relax the space between our various pieces of furniture. In fact, we could snug something up against one wall if we wanted to, and then put a table or shelf against the other and have some space to walk between them.

We’re feeling much the same way about the gardens up at the house. I dug the outline of the new bed yesterday. It extends the old bed at the south side of the house into the bed we put in around a portion of the patio a few years ago. The new outline is expansive; it is larger and more encompassing as it embraces about two-thirds of the patio; I really have to walk around it. As such, it’s very different than what we’ve been working with for the past few years.

I can’t wait for B to see it. I think he’ll have the same response I have: Whew! Now I can breathe!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the new bed will be just as wonderful as all your other projects. :) Space is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy! I can't wait to dig some more and see where we'll be at the end of this weekend. Also looking forward to planning how to plant things out. I've got lots of stuff I'll be able to divide.

    ReplyDelete