06 October 2009

grand plans

B and I have decided to double the size of the perennial garden by extending it almost all the way around the patio. The shape will echo somewhat the “bowl” of the back yard. We’ll fill the “old” perennial bed with asters and grasses and sedums and will call it the autumn garden. The new part near the patio (indicated by the garden hose in the photo) will be filled with summer-blooming flowers and herbs.

Problem to be solved with more garden? Well, because B and I tend to plant everything right on top of everything else, we will gain some breathing room and space for new plants, too. I also hope to create a little more order. While I don’t want our plants lined up like little soldiers, neither do I want them strangling each other.

So here’s to new beginnings. It’s time!

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I enjoyed reading your blog. I am all for enlarging planting areas. Please post photos next year when you have it finished. I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice space. This could be the start of something big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do, Noelle!

    James, it was a disappointing summer on the garden front. We think expanding and planning will help us move forward!

    ReplyDelete