10 June 2009

bluestone order arrived!

The plants arrived today:
  • 3 Hosta “Gold Standard”
  • 1 Panicum virgatum “Cloud Nine”
  • 1 Miscanthus sinensis “Zebrinus”
I’m planning on putting the three hostas in the lilac thicket for a little gold color in the midst of the shade. The “Cloud Nine” grass is fine in part shade, I hear, so it will go over on the north side of the house, near the Sambucus racemosa “Sutherland Gold” that I transplanted earlier this spring from a spot that was way too sunny, hot, and dry.

The “Zebrinus” will go in the perennial bed, bringing the number of grasses in that bed to three: Miscanthus sinensis “Morning Light,” Panicum virgatum “Shenandoah,” and now “Zebrinus.”

Very excited about all of this.

I keep toying with the idea of getting some Calamagrostis “Karl Foerster,” but so far haven’t. I wonder why?

2 comments:

  1. That calamagrostis is a great plant and it stands through the worst of winter. Cloud 9 is wonderful too, light and airy, great fall color, looks fragile, yet is amazingly resilient through winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, James. I will have to get some "Karl Foerster" in my garden! My friend Alan grows it in his roof garden, and I love the way the wind sounds when it blows through it.

    ReplyDelete