18 April 2009

a full day

Clearing brush, chipping branches, pulling grape vines from the sumac bordering the cowpath . . . and taking a middle-of-the-day break with Betty to attend a presentation on vegetable gardening at Gardenworks, a local farm/nursery. Whew! I’m tired! But also happy to be making some progress on these gargantuan projects that always seem to slip to the bottom of our chores list.

After I finish something, I always wish I’d taken a before picture. “After” by itself doesn’t convey the scope of work accomplished. I guess I don’t take that photo because, frankly, I’m a little embarrassed about the “Before” view. However, Brian over at Green Mansions Compost wrote a really good post about—among other things—reality vs. fantasy in the garden. We all strive for perfection, but, as Brian puts it, “around the corner, there’s a hose laying out and a stack of one gallon pots from last year’s boxwood waiting to be put away . . .” In the case of B and me, it’s rolls of grapevines not quite disposed of, a missed pile of raked grass, and an enormous thicket of brush waiting to be chipped. Frances at Fairegarden commented: “Show a macro, then back up and show the real view. We love both.”

Too late this evening to get that real view of the work today, but maybe tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, I am going to fall into bed.

P.S. My weather song (below) kept the rain at bay until after I finished working for the day. Talisman!

7 comments:

  1. You are so right about "around the corner"... Everyone has that corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true! Brian's observation really hit me! It's taken a long time, but I'm finally accepting that everything in the garden is never going to be quite finished. And I think that's probably the best thing in the world, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my yard should have been done forever ago because it is so small but it is always a mess! I never get it all done and some how more crap seems to invade my backyard space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what keeps giving you that something exciting to look forward to. :) Completely finished? Now how dull would that be? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it's why the gardening glove industry stays in business. That work is never done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. flowrgirl1, I think the "mess" is an indicator of plans and progress, right? Or that's what I keep telling myself!

    Nancy, if I had nothing to do in the garden, I probably wouldn't BE in the garden. I'm ALL about process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna: Ha! I wore my gloves on Saturday and didn't on Sunday, and you can imagine what my hands look like this morning (they were fine yesterday morning, however).

    ReplyDelete