07 April 2009

fruit trees in the bathroom (not for long, though)

I really, seriously, really thought I wouldn’t be buying much in the way of plant material for the garden this year. REALLY. We’re tightening our purse strings a bit these days, and we have so much already.

Then I took a jar of change to the bank and had the bright idea as I was feeding quarters and dimes into the counting machine that I’d sock the proceeds away for a plant purchase here and there. I added to it as I could and built a nice little envelope of green, enough to get a few trees and shrubs from Miller Nurseries. The order arrived a few days ago and is resting semi-dormant in our water closet until Sunday after church, when we’ll take it north.

The apple tree is “Yellow Transparent,” a very early-bearing variety (August) with sweet fruit that makes an almost clear applesauce. My dad’s mom bought Transparent apples every summer in Berks County, Pennsylvania, so she could make her special applesauce. I remember it being slightly thin, very nearly clear, and delicious.

Alan tells me that when he was in France for a year during college, he had the opportunity to eat cherries straight from the tree at his boyfriend’s parents’ house; so many, in fact, that Thierry’s mom called Alan “Big Bird.” Alan has been encouraging B and me to plant more fruiting trees and shrubs, which is why I also bought a hardy cherry tree (“BlackGold” from Miller; hardy to –30 degrees F, apparently) and three blueberry bushes to add to the three we have already.

We will plant our apple and cherry trees in the orchard slowly being cleared to the south of the house, and the blueberries will go on the sloping ground on the north side of the driveway, where they will get full sun. (I’m also planning on moving the three older blueberry bushes from the partly sunny Long and Steep Slope behind the house to this new location.)

4 comments:

  1. How do you protect the young trees from bucks during rutting season?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, James. How DO you protect . . . (sorry, sounded like the set-up for a joke).

    Actually, maybe it is!

    And again, maybe not. The few trees we've planted so far have been so small that we've endured only a little nibbling during the winter and no rubbing of antlers. We've been lucky so far. Have you had this problem? I wonder if surrounding them with a little kennel fencing for the first few years might prevent nibbling AND rubbing. I guess I'd drive some metal stakes and thread the fencing through them. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very beatiful the photos i am natalia and my country is chilean bye you friend naty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Nathy! I bet you have some beautiful gardens in Chile.

    ReplyDelete