12 January 2009

fruits of tidying

Spent the afternoon yesterday organizing two shopping bags of 2008 paid bills, letters, and other stuff (and a few things from 2006 and 2007, too, whoops). I also emptied out the magazine holder of last year’s gardening catalogs to make way for this year’s.

I always think I should save all my gardening catalogs for the “archive” (which would be a cardboard box shoved into the back of a closet or an enormous pile of paper underneath the bedside table), and then I realize doing that is maybe a little crazy. Out with the old! In with the new!

I’m especially excited about this year’s Baker Creek catalog, which has been redesigned and looks a lot better organized than it has been in years past.

In the course of my organizing and filing, I came across this postcard B found for me last summer over in a card store in the East Village. Love it.

4 comments:

  1. What a great post card! It's exciting, thinking about the coming growing season again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny. Up until about a week ago, I really didn't have any interest in catalog-looking, but now I'm excited about a new gaillardia I've seen: "Amber Wheels." BEAUTIFUL! And so it begins . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reckon you should save old seed and plant catalogs - if I forget to make a note of what something was, at least there is a record somewhere to remind me. It's also an intersting way to trace plant fashions over the years - in the Australian catalogs now everything is described as drought tolerant, even though it may not be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've just given me license to clutter up my house! Actually, I do save a selected few catalogs that I love to read as prose: Baker Creek, Bluestone, and White Flower Farm.

    ReplyDelete