16 August 2008

first morning glory

The digital camera is on the fritz. Lots of static when I turn it on, and I don’t know whether I should try to have it repaired or simply buy a new one (which grinds my gears; the camera is only four years old).

All that said, the first morning glories are out. I see only one spent blossom so far, and it doesn’t look that dried up, so I imagine the first was on Thursday, 14 August. “Heavenly Blue,” and it is a pretty blue. My favorite.

We also planted a variety called “Glacier Star,” the seeds of which I bought from Renee’s Garden this spring. The blooms will be pale blue with darker blue stripes. The vines of the two varieties are so entangled at this point that I can’t determine whether I see any buds on “Glacier Star” yet. More to come . . .

7 comments:

  1. Morning Glories are lovely. When I was a little girl, my Dad used to plant morning glories around our back doorstep...I used to love the way they'd wind themselves around the posts, their blue trumpet blooms so pretty in the early morning. :) Nice memories...and I hope you're not too long without a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy! Your dad sounds like quite a guy. I love the fact that he planted so many beautiful things, and that you appreciated them so much! Regarding my camera: Grrr. Do you have any suggestions? It's just a simple Canon digital camera. I wonder whether it's worth looking into having it repaired. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your camera--we miss you. Get a camera and come back! The Glories sound glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your camera. Mine acted up not long ago, but it seems to have straightened itself out. (It's also a Canon. hmmm) You might look into fixing it...

    I think I'd like to plant some of the beautiful blue morning glories in a couple of spots next year.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss ya! I have a Kodak z612 that wasn't too expensive if you consider another camera.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking up on you! :) I didn't see your question about the camera until now.

    In my humble opinion, I think you'd be better off purchasing a new camera -- they've come down in price considerably and you can get a high megapixel# for not a whole lot of money...with a new warranty to boot. If you think the repair might be something simple, it couldn't hurt to have it checked, that's for sure. But in my experience, you'll likely spend as much on repairs as you would on a newer camera. :) Just my 2 cents worth. I miss your posts! How are those dahlias coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Canon Web site indicates that the problem I'm having is fairly common, and that they will fix it for free (including paying for shipping back and forth). Haven't had the opportunity yet to look more into this, so no pictures, but I'm definitely going to pursue it.

    ReplyDelete