03 August 2008

fairy lily

After reading a story about fairy lilies on the Old House Gardens Web site back in January, I had to order some. So I did. Planted them in April, nursed them along on the fire escape in the city, and then moved them upstate in June. And now! First bloom today.

A few of the descriptions of fairy lilies (also called rain lilies) that I’ve read say they bloom best after rain, that rainwater and not tap water encourages them to bloom. I’m not so sure what this means, because it’s not as if a flower stalk shoots up immediately after a rain storm (or maybe it did, and I just wasn’t observant enough . . .), and I don’t know why this would be, but it’s an interesting little factoid, and, well, we have had a lot of rain this past week, so maybe there’s some truth to it. Hmm.

At any rate, it’s a lovely pink flower (and I managed to catch it with some actual, honest-to-bonnest Washington County raindrops on it).


I brought the pot back with us tonight so that I can pay more attention to it this week (the leaves are looking a little ratty).

5 comments:

  1. I grow these too. They say the ozone in the rain makes them bloom! Nice capture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, PG! I read somewhere that the color is like raspberry sherbet. And I love raspberry sherbet, so that's fine with me!

    i like plants, that is so cool! I wouldn't have thought of that at all. I wonder why fairy lilies are like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. How about some photos of your slope? ;)

    Your lilies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete