15 May 2008

lemon lilies and blanc double de coubert

Twenty-four lemon lilies (Hemerocallis flava) arrived on Monday. I gave six to my sister-in-law and six to my gardening friend Gina at the office and took the rest with me up to the house on Monday night. On Wednesday afternoon I planted them in two locations: Half in a partly sunny area I cleared out near the lilacs and half by the stand of ditch lilies (Hemerocallis fulva) up behind the slope. Slightly different environments: maybe slightly different growth patterns? We shall see.

The plants were well packed, and a few even have flower buds (I need to remember to leave some nice feedback for David at Pike Nursery on eBay). I cut most of the buds off so that the plants can put their energy to settling in this summer, but a few I left on because I’d love to be able to say that my lemon lilies bloomed this year.

And today I checked off another wish-list item: Rosa rugosa “Blanc Double de Coubert” showed up in my mailbox at work. Nicely packed and shipped by J.W. Jung Seed Company in Wisconsin. The bush is bareroot and full of leaf buds. I’m trying to decide whether it would be less stressful to M. Coubert to pot him up tonight and then transplant him this weekend, or to simply leave him in his snug box and get him into the ground first thing on Saturday morning. I’ll probably opt for the second scenario. He needs to rest up, though, because I’m planning on enlisting about 20 angels to urge him to “Grow, grow.”

I don’t know what’s going on with me this year. All this plant buying. I think I may have simply and finally realized that the flowers and shrubs I long for aren’t going to magically appear on the doorstep or in the garden. Sure, my weekly allowance is shot almost from Monday morning, but all these wonderful plants are making their way home to our garden, so it’s definitely worth it.

Hello, guy!

2 comments:

  1. What a hale and hearty fellow he is and what a wonderful addition he will make to your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budget? What budget? Wing Nut wonders why our weekly grocery budget keeps getting smaller while more and more plants appear in our garden..
    --Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete