06 May 2008

dahlia update

Yellow Gem: Up
Little Beeswings: Up
Kaiser Wilhelm: Up
Bloodstone: Really up

Still waiting on Andries Orange. Come out to play, Andries Orange!

I’ve just finished reading Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way with a small group here in Manhattan, and the final chapter is about how creativity requires that we be receptive and trusting. I like these sentences, seeing as how they are about how ideas germinate:
We speak often about ideas as brainchildren. What we do not realize is that brainchildren, like all babies, should not be dragged from the creative womb prematurely. Ideas, like stalactites and stalagmites, form in the dark inner cave of consciousness. They form in drips and drops, not by squared-off building blocks. We must learn to wait for an idea to hatch. Or, to use a gardening image, we must learn not to pull our ideas up by the roots to see if they are growing.

This is a great book. I highly recommend it. And I recommend reading it with a group and “checking in” with each other every week.

However, when I told my group that I was starting dahlias indoors and that I was poking my fingers in the pots every day and scraping the soil off the tubers to investigate whether they were sprouting, they all groaned.

Julia would not approve. Heh heh.

1 comment:

  1. You leave those poor tubers alone! All in their own good time, my friend. :) I have read The Artist's Way a couple of years ago and it was one of the most enlightening books I've ever digested. I think it's one that could be life-changing, if you let it be so. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete