08 April 2008

seedlings and transplants ordered

Yesterday I submitted my order to the Saratoga County Soil & Water Conservation District Spring 2008 Bare-root Seedling Program:
  • 10 red osier dogwood
  • 10 common lilac
  • 10 blue spruce
The red osier dogwood I will plant along the top of the remaining unplanted l&s slope; the lilacs B and I will plant in the lilac thicket, which needs some new blood; and the blue spruce we’ll plant on the hill near the barn (to the left of the barn in the “barn through the seasons” series).

I love this program. Two years ago we ordered balsam fir transplants and Rosa rugosa seedlings, all of which seem to be doing pretty well.

6 comments:

  1. 10 Blue Spruce? Lucky, lucky you! I hope they all do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great order .. wish we had the room to plant like that. Blue Spruce always reminds me of Christmas .. such a beautiful colour too !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very fortunate... not only to live in a place that could handle all these plantings, but that you Qualify. ;-) May I add a link to you on my site?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy: We're going to put them in the ground and cross our fingers and toes. We are full of ambition! Thanks for the good wishes.

    Joy: They remind me of Christmas, too. I also love balsam firs. The plan is that one day B and I will be able to cut down a Christmas tree from our own stand. Maybe we'll charge ourselves $20 for the privilege.

    Shady G: I'd love to be linked from your site! We are grateful (and a little overwhelmed at times) that we have space to do this kind of stuff. Some of our efforts are more successful than others, but it's all a lot of fun, for sure.

    Thank you all for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen pictures of the red osier dogwood. It's one of the loveliest plants ever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Becca! Thanks for stopping by! I think the red twigs of the red osier dogwood are pretty wonderful, too. Finger crossed that they like their new home on the slope. See you around!

    ReplyDelete