17 April 2008

fairy lilies planted

Received my complete order from Old House Gardens today at the office. A coworker called me from reception to tell me she had stopped by our mailboxes on her way out to lunch. “Looks like someone sent you some bulbs!” The tubers are plump and healthy looking. My wee little Boone gladiolus must be planted this weekend (the directions say to plant as soon as possible and that it’s tolerant of light frost, so I think it will be all right in the country).

Taking a lesson from the guinea hen flower massacre last fall (I received bulbs but wasn’t able to plant them until a week or so later) I followed directions and planted the sweet little fairy lily bulbs this evening. They’re in residence on the fire escape. Might take them up to the country, but most likely will grow them here for a while so I can keep a close eye on them.

I understand that I can start the dahlia tubers in pots now and then set them into the garden after danger of frost. However, because I need things spelled out for me to the last letter, I wrote the Old House Gardens crew to get a few more particulars—their excellent and comprehensive instructions notwithstanding—such as how deep a pot do the tubers need, and should I follow the directions OHG outlines for planting them outside (i.e., set the tubers six inches deep, cover them with two to three inches of soil, and add soil as they sprout) when I’m starting them in pots? I really, really don’t want to kill these because I really, really want to see some dahlias in the garden this summer.

But, how nice that the fairy lilies are planted!

And now an orange cat is butting my leg with his head, so I’ll turn my attention to him.

2 comments:

  1. All your bulbs will look lovely, I'm sure. My Dad always planted his dahlias straight in the ground after the risk of frost had passed, but in pots, you also get a head start. :) Good luck with them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Do you refer to the USDA zones or their like in Canada? What zone is Nova Scotia? My problem with dahlias up until now has been that they've barely gotten to flowering size before they're cut down by a hard frost. It's maddening. Thanks for the information about your dad's dahlia-growing technique!

    ReplyDelete