25 April 2008

daylily bed: further plans

The daylilies look as if they’re settling in nicely. However, I still have to edge the side of the bed nearest the driveway. I’m also going to mulch the whole thing in order to keep the weeds down while the plants fill in.

I’m considering extending the bed a bit toward the top so that I can plant the dahlias there, too. That particular spot gets lots of sun, so I think they’d be happy there for the summer.

The daylilies in this bed are not Hemerocallis fulva (ditch lilies), although we do have a large stand of them on the edge of the woods behind the house. Those old orange ones are my favorites. They are so plain and strong. Along Route 30 on the way into Salem is a white house that has an old sugar maple in the yard. In front of the sugar maple is a perfect circle of orange daylilies. In midsummer it’s a beautiful sight. It’s beautiful now, too, as the daylily foliage fills out the circle.

Another old variety of daylily I’d like to have in our garden is lemon lily. Its Latin name is Hemerocallis flava (or H. lilioasphodelus). It’s so called because of its color, of course, but also because of its scent—tart and lemony. It’s apparently a very early bloomer, and it has grasslike foliage. The yellow of its blooms is clear, with no hint of orange. Sounds amazing.

The daylilies in the redug daylily bed are all sorts of varieties; different sizes, different colors, and they don’t all bloom at the same time, which is nice. Truth to tell, I’m not fond of a lot of the hybrid daylilies available these days, because many of them look sort of Frankensteinish to me—bizarre undaylily-like colors and enormous, splayed-out blossoms. Fortunately, the varieties in the bed are pretty standard in terms of flower shape, and the colors are pleasing, at least to my eye.

1 comment:

  1. I really prefer the tried and true also, J. :) Sounds like your lily beds are shaping up nicely. I hope it's warmer where you are than it is here in NS!

    ReplyDelete