31 March 2008

L&S slope 2008

To be fair, I pieced this panoramic photo together from some photos I took in February 2006 (it’s February, it’s weedy, and it’s monochromatic). These days the slope doesn’t look quite so bad, but there’s still that probably 20-foot section in the middle that needs attention. We’ve planted blackberries, moved the Helianthus “Lemon Queen” behind them, and planted some Rosa rugosa bought from the Saratoga County Soil & Water Conservation District’s bare-root seedling program. And last summer I picked up 12 Nepeta “Walker’s Low” for $1 apiece at an end-of-season sale at my local nursery as well as a Clematis paniculata (or C. terniflora, depending on your source). The clematis is planted to the right of the Nepeta. So there’s progress.

What’s left? Lots of goldenrod, which I love, but I think I could do a little better than that.

I’m thinking for that middle section some red osier dogwood (from this year’s bare-root seedling program: 10 plants for $13), some Microbiota, and maybe some potentilla. Suggestions?

Further blather about the L&S slope:
3 September 2007
1 September 2007
3 April 2007

2 comments:

  1. Whatever you put in that area is going to be beautiful against the backdrop of those lovely trees and the stone wall. :) I meant to tell you before how much I like your "barn for all seasons" slide show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    Thank you for visiting! And thanks for the comment. That slope has been a real conundrum. It's steep, and the previous owners piled some timbers and stones to hold the soil. I've been taking them out slowly and planting things with the expectation that the root systems will eventually hold the soil. The slope is the first thing you see when you come up the driveway, so I'd love for it to look nicer.

    Easy does it, but do it, eh? Well, easy and S L O W.

    Thanks also for the nice words about the barn slide show! Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete