17 January 2008

random thought

On the way to the subway this morning. I was thinking of the various things I do that are petty or wrong, and I realized that when I do them I am not honoring God. More than what would God like, it’s as if I’m dishonoring myself (his creation), everyone else (also his creation), and the world. Self-respect then would seem to be respect for all of creation. Somehow this felt a lot more profound to me as I was descending the steps to the 14th Street subway platform.

4 comments:

  1. Suzie Q10:26 AM

    J,
    “In as much as ye have done it unto the least of these…” I always thought of this verse as meaning the good I try to do, but after reading your post, I realize the “petty or wrong things” are also done unto Him.
    I liked your thought. “Self-respect then would seem to be respect for all of creation.” Who are we to question God’s design? It reminded me of a little book I read as a teenager. It was written by a Louisville, KY comedian, Grady Nut (interesting name!?). It was titled "God Don’t Make No Junk." Hmmm?
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
    A KY friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. suzie q,
    I didn't interpret that particular verse in that way either, but it makes perfect sense to do so. How cool!
    I haven't heard of Grady Nut, but I have heard of "God Don't Make No Junk." Did you like the book? I'll check it out!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzie Q10:52 PM

    J,
    I don't remember what I read yesterday and I read this little book 38 years ago. The title did make an impression on me though.
    Suzie Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Join the club, eh? I can't remember what I ate for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete