12 June 2007

peegee hydrangea: r.i.p.

Well, it's June, and the PeeGee hydrangea has not leafed out.

I guess I girdled it with the weed-whacker last year (casualty #2 from the weed-whacker). The branches are all dried out . . . no leaves . . . the bark all around the bottom is gone. It almost looks like it was chewed off. Hmmm. Is it possible that perhaps I didn't weed-whack it? Perhaps maybe some small animal like a vole girdled it over the winter? Do voles girdle PeeGee hydrangeas? Can you believe I managed to work the words "vole," "girdle," and "PeeGee" into a five-word sentence that actually makes sense?

At any rate (with apologies to Monty Python), this PeeGee is no more. It has ceased to be. It's kicked the bucket. It's shuffled off its mortal coil. This is an ex-PeeGee.

I mourn the PeeGee.

* * *

Now, moving on, what to put in its place? B suggests a nice new lilac. I'm wondering about an old-fashioned bridal-wreath spirea. I know there are about a hundred more interesting bushes we could plant, but we do love the old things.

No comments:

Post a Comment