03 April 2007

allium moly

Last year, when money was especially tight, I was leafing through the catalog from McC&Z and saw a description of Allium moly:

“Flowering onions,” “society garlic,” or “lily leek.” Grows almost like a ground cover, forming broad clumps. Produces two flat, lance-shaped leaves about 12 inches long of blue-green with a metallic sheen. Short, cheery yellow umbels. Grown in southern Europe for centuries to bring good luck and prosperity. Uses: border, rock garden, talisman. (Height 12", Zones 3–8, S/SSH, 96/sq. yd.)

Well! I thought. Who can't use some good luck and prosperity? Did I order some? Nope, not last year. But then I received McC&Z’s spring 2007 catalog in the mail and saw the description of the bulbs again. I thought of the perfect place for 96 little alliums, too: in the roundish bed under the ancient maples at the bottom of the driveway. Last spring I planted three Hosta “Blue Angel” in a nice asymmetric clump (or so they will be when they’re bigger), and in September we put in a family of about 11 cushion mums at one end of that bed; they were beautiful all fall. I don’t expect they survived the winter, but we can always buy more come August. I’m planning on putting my allium bulbs at the other end of the bed. (FYI, you don’t need to be rich to order 96 bulbs of Allium moly: I spent about $14.00 plus shipping.)

No comments:

Post a Comment